Saturday, June 14, 2008

Half Way There and My Weightloss Tips

I have always weighed between 108-112 as long as I can remember. Well after the wedding when we started our kitchen remodel and moved into a hotel suite for 2 months we had no choice but to eat out. A LOT. I was also only going to the gym about 2-3 times per week, when I normally go 5-6 days a week. Result= weight gain.

I stepped on the scale a month ago and my stomach sank.....122. WHAT?!? That's IT I thought to myself, my pants are getting too tight and I am becoming insecure with my body. Keep in mind I have always walked around the house naked and never felt insecure with my appearance, partly because I have always maintained it. 122 is my LIMIT, after that I really start feeling chunky. I will never let myself go beyond that. That day was the last day I was going to be 122. Keep in mind that I am only 5'1. I vowed to start working out my normal 5-6 days a week...no matter what and changing my eating habits. I have been really watching what I eat and my portion sizes.....and so far I have lost 8 pounds!!! I am now 114 and my cloths are MUCH loser already. I want to get back down to 108. I am feeling really good and it is keeping be motivated!!

Usually when I am on a diet, I will have a "cheat" day where I am eat anything I want that day...well not anymore. I have been giving myself 1 "cheat" meal a week and even then I have been really good about it. Wanna know why? Because 1 cheat day, turns into 2 cheat days, turns into 5 extra pounds.

So many people always ask me what I do...So to all my friends trying to lose weight or are just curious what I do, I am going to share some of the things I have been doing that have been successful:

Most Important Factor of Weight Loss: FOOD! Here are some tips:

  • Drink water, only water, and lots of it.
  • Eat breakfast every morning (this is a big challenge for me) Some of my favs are: 1 slice of whole wheat toast with a smear of organic crunchy peanut butter. Or 1 serving of low fat yogurt with some fruit. Or 1/2 of a english muffin with I cant believe its not butter light and a glass of O.J.
  • Eat ALL your meals, even your biggest ones off of a salad size plate. This has really done the trick for me!!
  • I eat 3 meals and 1 snack per day. Examples of snacks: a handful of pretzels, a hand full of trail mix, a fat free string cheese, a banana, a apple, a few baby carrots and hummus, a handful full of raw broccoli or cauliflower. See a trend here? Snacks should be no bigger than a handful. Maybe 2 if you are trying to maintain and not lose weight.
  • NO eating after 7 pm. If you eat dinner late, no eating 3 hours before bed.
  • Really watch salad dressings...eating just a salad CAN be fattening! Always order dressing on the side so you can control how much dressing goes on your salad.
  • Never go back for seconds....never. Even if you still feel hungry. Drink some water and wait 10 min. I guarantee you will be satisfied. The goal is to NOT feel stuffed, when that happens you have over eaten!
  • Only eats carbs with one meal per day, preferably with breakfast or lunch. Again, still watch the portion size. For example: spaghetti, your serving size should be 1 cup!
  • Keep a food journal (I don't do this, but it is very helpful) you might be surprised how much you are actually eating in a day.
  • REALLY watch your sugar intake.
I am not going to lie the first week or so, you will be hungry. But your body is used to you stuffing it! Your stomach will adjust and you will start to notice that even with the small portions, you will start to feel full!! Just hang in there!

Exercising, just as important!! Because no one wants to be skinny and flabby:
  • Do 30 min. of cardio 4-6 days a week. Even if it is just a brisk walk around your neighborhood, as long as your heart rate is up. Cardio is the most important type of exercise when trying to drop weight!
  • Start slow if you are not used to exercise...you will get there!
  • Make working out a priority!! You would not NOT brush your teeth everyday would you? Well the same should be for exercising. It WILL get easier too I promise!
  • Do intervals, for example walk for 4 min. run for 2. VERY effective.
  • Weight train, use light weights and do 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps.
  • Make a plan. Example : Mon/Wed Arms, shoulders and back. Tues/Thurs Legs and glutes. Whatever works best for you.
  • Do abs every day or every other day. Abs are your core, and do not need as much recover time after training. You want to maintain a solid core.
  • Mix it up!! Take a class once a week, try new things, see what other people are doing in the gym. You need to keep your body guessing and the goal is to NOT stay in the same routine. There are lots and lots of websites you can go to and get new exercise ideas.

Again like with the diet, dragging yourself to the gym everyday will get easier. But you have to stick to it or it wont. And most important don't make excuses for yourself! All you are doing if you are making excuses is sabotaging yourself!!

No comments: