Sunday, August 22, 2010

Too Late??

Miss M has never been into the binky aka the pacifier. The first 2 months, I tried a few different brands trying and trying to get her to take one (because that's what babies do) and she just was never really interested. So eventually I gave up. It wasn't meant to be, and I just accepted the fact that Miss M (total opposite of Kay) would never been into it. During those early months, I wanted her to like it. I knew it could help soothe her, but you cant make a baby suck on a pacifier. If she ever found one lying around, she would mostly chew on it, look at at cross eyed, then throw it across the room. And thats the way she's been the last few months..


But fast forward to the last few days. She found one the other day, and instead of her usual reaction, she looked at it cross eyed, THEN stuck it in her mouth and starting sucking away! She was sort of in awe of this weird sucking devise. It was quite funny actually, she would suck on it for a few minutes, pull it out, look at it, put it back in, suck suck suck, pull it out, examine it, put it back in, suck suck suck. We were all laughing because she looks so different with a binky in her mouth. It reminds me so much of Kay (she was a total binky addict and you will never get me to say how long she had that thing!). Then today, I walked out of the shower, walked in the play room, and there she was sucking away! I went to put her down for a nap and she fell asleep with it in her mouth. This is not my child! 

Do you think it is crazy if I give her a binky at this point? If we've gone 7.5 months without one, why start now right? I know how bad the habit is....its like kicking crack! So I should just gather them all up and throw them away? Right?!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you that at 8 months old London decided he loved the paci. He hated it as a baby and just like you I tried to force it on him. HAHA. He is now 18 months old and ummmm still sleep with one. He is an amazing sleeper so I am in no rush to take it away, but don't tell him dentist that hahaha. Good Luck!

Jenni said...

mmm I think you hould be fine giving it to her, at this point it seems like she thinks of it more as a toy than an actual soother, not only that this is the time of some major teething.. so this could help her with comfort.
but I say no biggie, she may not even stay interested that long anyway, seeing that she never really was. It could just be a phase. =)

Unknown said...

You said it yourself how bad of a habit it is to kick. I vote don't let her start now. But my baby broke herself of the paci at 6 months and I'm ever so glad I don't have to deal with it later on.