Monday, May 24, 2010

Can You Really Do It All?

My answer, yes. But you cant live to blog about it :)

But really, can you do it all? And I guess what I am really asking is can you do it all and not feel overwhelmed?

Now that I am not so sure about.

Recently I have piled quite a bit more on my plate. I try and think I can do it all. I had this very conversation with my husband last week. He sees me running around constantly and thinks I am stretching myself too thin. Running around like a chicken with my head cut off from the gym, to the office, to school, to the baby, back to school, to a meeting, to swim lessons, to a party, to dance, to the office, to the grocery store, you get the drift. This is my life. There are simply not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I need to.

As if I didn't have enough to do, I was elected to be the treasurer of the PTO (parent teacher organization) at Kay's school. I accepted, so I am now a member of "the board" which has much more responsibilities that just volunteering. Boy was I in for a big surprise! I though the PTO was a group of moms, getting involved in their children's school activities. WRONG! PTO is a non profit LLC that is in charge of every extra curricular activity and every school function they have. It is run like a business, they file tax returns, have to follow strict guidelines, and are a real organization....not just a group of moms like I thought. PTO is in charge of so many important things. But honestly I had no idea what I was getting into. I thought it would just take up a little of my time until I was in a 3 hour budget meeting with the Principal last week. Whew. I will now be in charge on handling all the teacher reimbursement, monthly budget reports, and keeping everyone and everything on budget. What the fuck was I thinking!? (btw, I just have to add how funny I think it is that I, yes me the impulse spender, is in charge of ANYONE's budget...bwhahahahaha!)

Did I mention I also have a real job? Yes, I get to work from home, and yes it is part time and I can set my own hours, but I do work and have responsibilities that I cant ignore. My job duties include handling all of our A/R, A/P, taxes, payroll, and HR for our business. Even though my office is at home, we do in fact have a office warehouse where our employees are, so I do have to go in a couple times a week to check on things. But since having little M that has proved to be nearly impossible. It seems like I cant get anything done between the two of them!

By now you might be asking how can I manage to do all this with a infant? Well now that's impossible people! I cant do half the things I am supposed to do between feedings and naps, so I went and got my very own Nanny McPhee! Yep. I hired a part time nanny to come 2 days a week so I can get some work done, spent some time at the office, and at school. Is that cheating in the doing it all scenario? Nanny McPhee is older, has nannied for 22 years, and made me feel very comfortable with her from the start. She was a referral from a friend, so that made me feel better too. She has only been with us 2 days so far, but I like her a lot. It is hard to let anyone other than myself care for my children (especially the baby) but how else can I expect to get any thing (work related) done?! And I have to remind myself that it's only 2 days per week...

So here I am trying to do it all. I do feel a little overwhelmed, but part of me wants to see if I can do it all. I may fail miserably. I may not. I may surprise myself and be super mom after all. But don't hold your breath.

Oh and in case you were wondering, it took me 3 days to write this post! I've been so busy : P But school is out Thursay (which is also B day!) so hopefully things will calm down for a bit.

No comments: